Public Speaking for Trade Unionists – in Whitehorse
October 14, 2023
9:00am - 4:30pm
YEU Hall 2285 2nd Ave Whitehorse, YT Y1A 1C9 Canada
Facilitator: Josh Paddon, Regional Representative PSAC North
One of the biggest fears people have is speaking in public. As trade union activists you will have many opportunities to do so, especially as we approach our convention. Learn how to do it effectively and with the minimum amount of anxiety. The in-person course will provide you with some hints to help you overcome your fears and assist you in learning how to speak in public effectively.
Participants will learn to:
- Identify the key elements of effective public speaking.
- Discuss various techniques that speakers can use to control or handle fears associated with speaking in public
- Demonstrate how public speaking is a political act that can be a used for expressing ideas in various situations.
- Illustrate different variables that impact the delivery and techniques used for speaking in public.
- Define what feedback is and identify effective techniques for giving and receiving feedback.
- Prepare and deliver a short speech using the tools and techniques learned in the course.
Josh Paddon, Regional Representative PSAC North, will be facilitating. Preference will be given to YEU convention delegates, committee chairs and others that are required to speak publicly to promote union principles.
Spaces are limited!
RSVP with PSAC North.
Here is a short video packed with tips: